Opportunism

On a hot day on I-294, it is the middle of rush hour heading into O'Hare International Airport. I was driving my friend to the airport and I was about a mile and a half from the O'Hare exit. Being in the right lane, it was bumper to bumper traffic. I could have easily just driven on the shoulder for a mile and half and gotten off the highway. At the time I had been sitting in traffic for two hours, if I had acted opportunistically, I would have driven on the shoulder.

There are couple of reasons I did not act this way, first being if there was a police officer on the road I would have gotten a ticket. This is probably the biggest deterrent from violating the rules of the road. Another reason , I did not use the shoulder to drive is because if there was a accident or broken down car on the shoulder I would not be able to pass them. Also, If someone needed to use the shoulder I would have been blocking that. So the reasons were both ethical and consequential, I did not want a ticket or hinder someone else's use of the shoulder who actually needed it.

Comments

  1. This post is inadequate in length. It is much below the required word limit. If you read the comment within the next 24 hours and care to write a full length post, let me know and I will read it. You won't get credit for it in its current form.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Experience with Organizations

Kenneth Arrow